Wednesday 11 November 2009

Stuart Membery











Although this post isn't really Christmas related, I had a feeling you would love to know about a new friend of mine, Stuart Membery. My Australian readers may remember Stuart from the fashion industry in Australia in the 1980's and also as the man behind bringing Esprit to Australia many moons ago.

This week I've had a few email conversations with Stuart and then yesterday he picked up the phone and called me from his divine home in Bali. Stuart's home has been featured in this month's House & Garden magazine and I must say I feel like I could move straight in and not change a thing. It actually reminds me of something my mother would create. His mismatch of cane furniture, collected things like shells, baskets, books and magazines is very much a look I love and have grown up with myself. The whole thing feels like I have seen it before. I absolutely adore his aesthetic and as for his life in Bali, well it sounds amazing.

Apparently, US decorator and journalist, Annie Kelly has just been over to visit Stuart and has photographed the house and it seems that international interest for his homewares and furniture is mounting daily....including my own keen interest in his products for our Black & Spiro store which we are renovating and extending in 2010.

I will be sure to keep you updated with our purchase of his pieces for Black & Spiro. In the meantime, you must race out and grab a copy of this month's House & Garden and see for yourself how beautiful his home is and how wonderful his life sounds!!

23 comments:

Romana said...

Yes! As soon as I saw the article, I thought of you Anna! It just needed some hits of pink, lol. Look forward to seeing what you gather for the Black and Spiro stock :)

Stella and Pearl said...

Oh, how divine...I'll be racing out to buy the mag and I loved stuart membery from years ago, my Mum was always dressed in it....wonderful house, I could move straight in too!

Deane and McLoughlin said...

Fantastic news that you are expanding and renovating the store! Can't wait to see it...just have to make time to fly to Brisbane first! You should expand to Sydney at the same time!!!
L x

ALWAYS CHASING said...

Frig, it looks awesome! I'm off to Bali in Jan & would love to sticky beak insdie his house!

I'm beginning my studies in interior design next year & I wanted to say thanks for being incredibly inspiring :)

Karena said...

Hi Anna, I love his style, cool, comfortable, very livable!

Gramercy Home said...

I love Stuarts use of Blue and White - it's such a fresh and fun take on a tried and true color scheme. A great book on this type of decorating is Carolyne Roehm's A Passion for Blue & White. It always flies of the shelf when we have it in the shop. Glad to know about Mr. Membery. Thank you!

A Crimson Kiss said...

Oh sweet heavens, is there any way you can tell me where the blue and white throw pillow in the final photo is from? It's Perfect!

Unknown said...

Just got my copy, gorgeous love it all very inspirational x

Marina Mott said...

Bali...this house...oh, boy! What a life!

Sharnel said...

Gorgeous house! Love his artwork too.

It's good to see that all my pocket from the mid 80's, has helped fund his fabulous life in Bali.

Sprout Gallery said...

I loved Stuart Membery's clothes especially from the late 80s to early 90s. I still have one pair of pants with the cow on the pocket left over. I always wondered happended to him. Thanks for that!

Elsa May said...

It looks sublime! Stuart Membery was a huge fashion influence when I was growing up in Australia - ! Now I just need to track down a copy of House & Garden.

pve design said...

Certainly looks very comfy.
Love to move right in and collect some shells to add to the look...
pve

Natasha in Oz said...

What a blast from the past! I must go and buy H&G.
How wonderful to hear that you are expanding too. I look forward to hearing about your plans over the next few months.
Happy weekend and best wishes, Natasha.

Dione said...

I like this blog so much...

Kisses...

Phyllis @Around the House said...

Love the geometric wallpaper, so beautiful especially the red and white, wow, love your blog, love to see the new things that you love, come for a visit

Pineapple Villa said...

Hi Anna - i thought exactly the same thing when i got my copy in the mail.
Loved his house and do remember having a few Stuart Membery shirts in the 80's and thinking of was "it"!
I always used to think he had wonderful teeth and still has a huge smile by the looks of it. I loved the article and it was great that you got in touch, Mel xx

Jessica Sutton said...

wow, that table... love it!

beachandsun1 said...

Love all of this

Talking with Tami said...

look fab love your blog!

beachvintage.com said...

This article brought back so many memories for me it was incredible. I was instantly taken back to the 80's. I loved it! Sounds fabulous Anna. xx

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

I love the blue and white! xx

Christa said...

Wicker lamp - very cool.